Saturday, October 2, 2010

Another Strange Stranger


Dear Qwerty,

Yesterday was a beautiful day.

It was Friday, and I need to work at the shop in the afternoon. While at the shop, a stranger came to look around. I thought he's a potential customer, so I let him take his time looking at whatever we have at the shop. He's a foreigner. Suddenly he asked about some of the cakes that we put on display at the front. My friend was busy so I had to go. I told him that it was butter cake. He said that butter cakes are very nice, but being an honest person, or perhaps overly-honest at that time, I told him that the cake wouldn't be as ice as he thought, as it was not homemade, it was packaged at the factory. He ended up not buying it (lol) and talked about something else.

At that time I knew that he's not coming to buy anything. He just wanted to have a chat with someone. He told me that he's from Iran, and stressed how I-R-A-N differs from I-R-A-Q. I find it to be quite amusing when he anxiously explained how frustrated he was when people would think Iran as Iraq. I told him that I know that they are two different countries and I can't stop myself from laughing at that time.

Later he told me that he wanted to improve his spoken English because although he can read and write well, he can barely listen to or speak in English. I think he wasn't so bad in any and I told him about it. After all, we were conversing in English and he was way better than many other foreigners I've met. We keep on talking for nearly an hour, and all the while I was wondering why he refused to sit down (lol again). He's a very interesting person. I think he's kind too. He's very polite and humble. My first impression of him was that he's a proud doctor or professor who came to inspect how we work things out at the shop, but all that thought diffused away as we chat.

I think he came to talk so that he can improve his English. It was almost 2.30 and I told him that my shift is almost over and I'll have to go. I let him know that if he wanted to talk to anyone later he should feel free to visit us as we all love to talk.

So that's one of the interesting that happened yesterday.

Type on you later, Qwerty!

*p/s: the beautiful picture of seashells up there was borrowed from
D Sharon Pruitt's photostream at Flickr.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i work at a shop too, and i love meeting new persons that come to our shop to chat. it won't be so boring then... :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio