Saturday, March 10, 2012

Simple, Cheap and Delicious Beef Soup

Dear Qwerty,

Do you know that we can make soups and stews in a rice cooker?

Well at least that's what I did after coming back from Tesco. Yesterday, I went to Tesco to buy some rice. I also thought of buying some vegetables and fish to make a simple soup, but while browsing through the meat aisle, I saw prepacked fresh local beef and imported lambs at some seriously cheap price. The local beef was priced at around RM2.50 per pack (usually RM6-7) and the lamb cuts were at cents!  I thought that they are nearly spoiled meat, but when I checked, they are just fine. I bought a pack of beef and lamb (I can't buy more since I don't have a fridge to store them T_T). Then off I went to buy the root veges that would go with the soup.

I'd like share the recipe with you, which does not requires much ingredients but tastes amazing!

Ingredients:
Your choice of beef, cut into bite-sized chunks.
Some carrots, cut into chunks.
Some potatoes, cut into chunks.
One medium sized shallots (or red onion, but yellow onion is acceptable), chopped.
Some flat-leaf parsley (or parsley, or even celery sticks!)
A good dash of allspice (or any spice you have at the moment)
Some ground black pepper 
2-4 beef bullion cubes (this is so cheap, you just HAVE to use this)


1. Brown the beef in littlest oil possible.
2. Add chopped shallots, cook until translucent.
3. Add water as needed.
4. Add bullion cubes, start with two then add more if required.
5. Wash and finely chop roots and bottom part of parsley. Add to the soup.
6. When beef is tender (for me, I like it just cooked, tender or not), add potatoes and carrots.
7. When potatoes are tender, add in 3cm-chopped parsley leaves and cook till it wilted a bit.
8. Taste the soup, make adjustments as needed (I meant adding more salt or spices!).



So it really were just a sequence of BEEF-SHALLOTS-WATER-EVERYTHING BUT PARSLEY-PARSLEY.

This recipe is student-friendly, just use whatever ingredients on bargain at the supermarket. As long as you have the beef and the bullion, you can't go wrong. :)

Till then!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio